Libyan Forces Attacked On Retreat From Misrata
Last Updated on
Saturday, 23 April 2011 07:45
Saturday, 23 April 2011 07:42
Guardian | Forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi claim to have come under fierce attack as they tried to retreat from the rebel-held city of Misrata.
The Libyan government earlier said Nato air strikes may force it to withdraw from the port city, 120 miles east of Tripoli, and let tribes loyal to Gaddafi deal with rebels.
Early this morning, Nato bombs hit what appeared to be a bunker in Gaddafi's Tripoli compound. Government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said three people were killed by the "very powerful explosion" in a car park.
Reuters reporters said they saw two large holes in the ground where the bombs had penetrated what appeared to be an underground bunker.
The strike came after the most senior American military officer admitted the conflict was heading towards a "stalemate" despite more than a month of allied strikes against Gaddafi's forces.
Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the US military's joint chiefs of staff, said Gaddafi's ground forces had been degraded by 30% to 40%.
But he warned that Nato forces faced a protracted military engagement in the civil war-torn country.